Saturday, July 25, 2026

When life comes in full circle

 In 2000, I set off for an unknown country with my four-year-old son beside me. Apart from knowing that my husband was already there, I had no idea what I was getting into or what life had in store for us.


Before our departure, the visa process was daunting. We traveled to Chennai and stood in line for several hours before reaching the visa officer, only to have my application rejected because a few additional documents were needed from my husband, who was already in Boston. After several phone calls and a FedEx delivery, we finally gathered everything we needed and returned to the visa office several days later


During those challenging days, the relatives with whom I was staying in Chennai prayed for us and supported us, hoping that our little family would soon be reunited. And finally, we were.


My first journey to United States is fresh in my memory.  I was completely underprepared for what was to come. I had not thought through the challenges of beginning a new life in the United States—the cultural differences, the language barriers, the weather, or even the fact that the visa I was traveling on would not allow me to work. I didn’t even realize how long the flight would feel until my cousin, who came to see me off, told me it would take eighteen hours. And yet, I was confident and hopeful—the kind of confidence you sometimes have when you simply don’t know enough to be afraid.My four-year-old son, on the other hand, was simply excited to finally be reunited with his father.

And then, at last, we landed in Boston.


My husband was living in Revere, Massachusetts, at the time. The immigration officer at the airport was intimidating, asking questions about where I would stay and who would support me. I was so nervous and unfamiliar with everything that I didn’t even know how to pronounce the name of the town correctly. I was stepping into a completely unfamiliar world.


In Revere, my husband was living in a beachside apartment. The Boston Blue Line ended right next to the apartment at a station called Wonderland. And it truly was a wonderland. From the seventh floor, the living room opened to a beautiful view of the beach. We could see airplanes lining up to land at Logan Airport nearby. Large ships occasionally appeared on the ocean, while the bedroom windows overlooked the metro line, where blue trains frequently arrived at Wonderland.


My son tirelessly ran back and forth between the living room and the bedroom, taking in the endless parade of sailing ships, landing airplanes, and whistling trains. For a four-year-old, it was a true wonderland.


A week after we arrived in Boston, we moved to Austin, Texas. As an IT consultant, my husband’s career required frequent relocations.


Fast-forward fourteen years, and life had taken us through many different towns and cities across the United States. Our lives were shaped by my husband’s career, while I was trying to find my own footing in this new country. Each move meant starting over—finding a new home, learning a new neighborhood, adjusting to a new school, and rebuilding a sense of belonging. Through all those years of uncertainty and change, my son adapted and made the best of every situation we placed him in. And then, in 2014, we came back to Revere. We bought a townhouse and began another chapter of our lives here. Walking along the beach and taking early morning drives to watch the sunrise became part of our life in Revere. By then, our son had already left for university on the West Coast, beginning a journey of his own.


Today, after more than a decade as residents of this beautiful historic town, we are relocating once again.

But this time, something is profoundly different. This time, it is my son who is opening this new chapter for us.


The way my husband once brought us to the United States and opened the door to a new life, my son is now helping us open the door to another chapter. There is something deeply emotional about that realization.The child who once traveled beside me as a four-year-old, eager to be reunited with his father, is now the one taking steps to bring us closer to him.


My husband recognized opportunities, took risks, and made the most of every chance life gave him. Of all the things he has accomplished, I believe one of his greatest achievements has been the role he played in raising our son—instilling good values in him and giving him the foundation and springboard he needed to build his own life here. Our son had opportunities that we could only have dreamed of when we first arrived


When we came to this country as a young family, we never planned to stay forever. Our idea was to work for a few years and then leave. But this country has a way of pulling you in. Once you are here, once you build a life here, and especially once you raise your children here, it becomes difficult to turn back. We worked. We adapted. We moved. We grew. And we watched our son grow into the person he is today.


As I leave Revere, watching the sunrise one last time, I cannot help but reflect on our journey. The little boy who once arrived in America holding his mother’s hand is now helping his parents find their way into a new beginning. Life has truly come full circle. And as we close one chapter and step into another, I realize that every move, every uncertainty, every sacrifice, and every new beginning has brought us to this moment—to one more sunrise, and to the beginning of another chapter.

No comments: