Sunday, March 1, 2015

Life in these united states.....

Recently an Indian grandfather, who was visiting his son and family in Madison, a small town in Alabama was manhandled by a cruel police officer. Mr Patel, who was left partially paralyzed and needed multiple surgeries, was taking a morning walk in the neighborhood when a police officer approached him. Mr. Patel's mistake- he didn't know English and failed to understand the question or instructions that was given to him. In a video that has gone viral ever since, Mr. Patel is shown repeatedly saying “no English” and this police officer instructing him in English “do not move, if you move I will put you down- do you understand?"He must have been so out of mind to think that a person who doesn't know the language can understand the instruction he is giving in English. The police officer was later suspended and is facing a possible termination.

The atrocious stories of police officers mishandling the situation is abundant, in some cases costing life to the people involved. Is it the lack of training they receive?  lack of empathy? Racism still prevalent and police officers are not immune to it? Or is it that the police that control a gun laden population needs to be brutal to keep things under control? After all, they risk their life to be in the street. All these incidents that I read and hear in the media is slightly against what I have experienced in my fifteen years of stay here.

First time, it was through a 911 call. It was my first month in this country- not long enough for me to learn about emergency calls. Lying on the sofa, I dialed 01191 which is the international code and then the country code for India. I stopped half way through as my son interrupted me, dialed again only to miss it, and dialed one more time before I finally got the line through. It was Vishu, a festival day in Kerala, I was talking to my mother in law.

Two minutes into the conversation, I saw a police officer peeping into my room. He asked if I am okay. Confused, I nodded but continued talking as I walked up and down the room about the presence of police in the house. When I glanced through the door, I saw my husband trying to explain something. I saw him leading these officers to the door and waving while I continued talking oblivious to what is happening. Entering the room, the furious husband snatched the phone from me and told his mom that I called these police officers. It took a while for me to comprehend- by mistake I have dialed 911 and these officers were responding to that call. Then I vaguely remembered that I was getting a phone call which I never cared to take as I was conversing with the folks in India. They wouldn't leave when Vinod informed them there is nothing wrong and we didn't need help. They insisted they see other people in the house and made sure everything is okay before leaving.

Even though it is one of those embarrassing incidents in my life, I derived enormous strength from the feeling of security knowing that I would get help in a phone call within minutes. There were times I lived alone with my son when he was still a child. For someone who was extremely fearful of dark and experienced an overprotective childhood in a joint family, living alone in a foreign country is made possible because deep inside, I knew my safety is only a 911 call away. Whenever I sleep alone, I have my phone beside my pillow- just in case if I need to make that call. I feel protected and safe in a way I never would have if I was staying alone in India.

Years later, as I hurried into my car to get to work one fine morning, I noticed my car was unlocked. I had the habit of forgetting to lock it at times, but in safe Winchester neighborhood, breaking in the car was unthinkable. In a panic I realized that some one has gone through my stuffs and the GPS is missing. I was late to work and was a testing proctor for that day, so I drove away distressed. My parents were visiting me at that time, I saw panic in their eyes too. I thought of reporting it to police once I settle down with the testing. However after an hour my father informed me that a police officer came home and knocked on the door to ask if we lost something. They caught a teenager who was breaking in cars in the neighborhood and confiscated many things including our GPS. We were asked to wait for the investigation and the closure of the case against the boy. In couple of weeks, we got a call to collect my GPS. As I walked into the police station with my husband, I was anxious, but was politely received and was handed the GPS and made me sign some papers.

The role of the police of a state is to protect its citizens. There are a lot of good police officers out there who relentlessly put their life in danger and protect the people. And then there are few like the one in Alabama who will exert their power over a fragile old man. But it is soothing to know that they are few and far between. 


19 comments:

krishna das said...

Very well written thoughts continue your good work some of the well known writters realized their potential only when they turned 40 I have a small suggestion only when you read in depth you will be able to write a few words so keep reading

© Mubi said...

വേദനയോടെ ഞാനും ആ വാര്‍ത്ത‍ കണ്ടിരുന്നു. കഷ്ടം! ഇത്തരം സംഭവങ്ങള്‍ ഒരു തുടര്‍ക്കഥയാവുകയാണല്ലോ? 911 ഡയല്‍ ചെയ്ത് അബദ്ധം പിണയുന്നതില്‍ ഞാനും ഒട്ടും മോശല്യാ... എഴുത്ത് തുടരട്ടെ... ആശംസകള്‍ :)

Asha said...

Thank you Dasan, value your suggestions. just trying to write things down so I won't forget.

Anonymous said...

Mubi, vayikkunnathil valare santhosham, I have heard from my friends that they all have been through this 911 dialing mishap at least once- the code 011 and India's country code 91- very easy to miss it to 911! Most all of my Indian friends here have done this mistake at least once.

cimi Mathew said...

Rightly said! The misbehavior of few doesn't mean we forget the great job other police officers are doing here..Asha chechi, well written n hope to see more from u!

Unknown said...

Great potential to be a writer and a talented story teller as well. Keep up the good work ashakutty

Asha said...

cimi, yes, we only hear horror stories, there are umpteen number of cases these people handle every day. In this negativeness, we often forget about the good things they do day in and out.

Asha said...

@mangala nair: mema, thanks for reading my scribles!

Rads said...

Ashachechi..another great post .. Agree with you completely on the secure feeling one gets with the thought that help is only a phone call away..
We see different flavors of humans in police too and their minimal awareness or possible disregard of the diversity of this country makes matters worse like what happened to the Indian father.

Asha said...

Radhika, thanks! I also realize that I have been fortunate enough to have all good experiences. Where you live and individual circumstance will determine the kind of experience one gets and the biases one have. But for most part, ignorance is a bliss and I have been blessed with that!

Unknown said...

Great article Asha! The Alabama incident was unfortunate. I am remembering Trayvon Martin too... The teenager who got fatally shot mistaken to be an intruder. Another example for misuse of power. Nice to know you had good experiences with cops. Keep writing...

Asha said...

Thank you susan for your feedback, Yes it was such an unfortunate event!

Ashvin said...

Amma I think this is very good! Reminds me of a passage from the namesake where the indian wife who comes loses many of her shopping possessions on the subway, but manages to recover them later with nothing taken. Her surprise and fondness for the united states really resonated with me.

Asha said...

Achus, I do remember the story of Indian wife in namesake where she gets her luggage back- I could relate to it so much when I read that! I liked that you liked it!

ഫൈസല്‍ ബാബു said...

ആദ്യാമായ ഈ ബ്ലോഗില്‍ ,, തുടരട്ടെ അമേരിക്കന്‍ വിശേഷങ്ങള്‍ :)

Sunayna Navani said...

Hi asha,
I have replied to your mail. Did you get it?

Asha said...

Thanks Faisal for stopping by

Manoj Methil said...

Well written chechi, keep writing!!!

Asha said...

Thanks Manoj for stopping by!